Changes to the Out of the Cold program
Involvement in the Out of the Cold program has been a long-standing indication of our concern for the homeless. As well as preparing some meals and participating in the team activities, Beach United housed the shelter on a weekly basis during the renovation at St Aidan’s Anglican Church. But COVID constraints have prevented us from having overnight guests during the coldest months both last year and this.
Since that time, Team Leaders and Coordinators have been struggling with how to continue to respond to the needs of people who are homeless and vulnerable. Out of the Cold programs across the city have a shared experience:
- People continue to be committed to helping.
- In the absence of the overnight program, the energy has shifted to providing food.
- As was the case with the Out of the Cold program, much of the food will go to people who are vulnerable but are not necessarily homeless.
Our kitchen facilities at 140 Wineva have been used to assist many people by providing about 40 hot meals each Wednesday through the drop-in centre at Teasdale Place and by dropping off meals at encampments throughout the city including Moss Park, Scadding Court and Trinity Bellwood.
In addition to this effort, we will continue to explore ways in which we can, both individually and collectively, support people in our community that are in need. Some of the options are:
- Food banks across the City are seeing more people coming for food than at any time in the past. Donations of non-perishable food can be left at any Toronto Fire Hall for pick up by the Daily Bread Food Bank.
- Coordinators and team leaders of the St. Aidan’s Out of the Cold will continue to explore other ways to respond to community needs.
Please consider how you are best able to support any of these initiatives. If you are interested in continuing to contribute to initiatives of the Out of the Cold, please let us know and we will keep you informed as needs are identified. email@example.com
Thank you for your longstanding commitment to meeting the needs of homeless and vulnerable people in our community!